Business-oriented safety consultant and executive with a proven ability to build company cultures with excellent safety performance, removing risk while achieving bottom-line results. A sharp talent for collaboratively leading at all company levels, both one on one and in public groups.
"It's not just a job or even a career, and it's certainly not about money; rather, it's the true passion of helping people stay safe, stay alive and assisting companies in becoming more profitable through safety."
With this passion and high level of success in previous years, Steve founded Vogel Safety in 2003. His consulting services has impacted thousands of companies over the years, within various industries. Some of his work is currently used nationwide.
Talk to Steve personally at 720-788-2016.
Risk management – Troubleshooting – Team building – Coaching/Mentoring – Training
Public speaking – Audit/Analysis – Custom program development – DOT audits and closure notices.
Selected Career Highlights
- Elevated an international hardware store’s DOT non-compliant Hazmat distribution to 92 countries to achieving industry safety leadership within 14 months. Gained top management support, then designed and rolled out a culture changing safety program.
- Led the reduction of 52% in vehicle accidents and 56% reduction in injuries within 18 moths of designing and implementing a comprehensive safety program that energized and engaged all levels within a district of a national truck-leasing company.
- Achieved a 10-to-1 Return on Investment (ROI). Reduced annual safety related losses by over $550,000 in the first year at a national trucking company by developing and implementing new safety policies, launching a central DOT compliance data base, and reorganizing and training terminal safety management.
Vogel Safety | Suwanee, Georgia
A safety consulting firm specializing in fleet safety, risk management, and DOT compliance.
Example Clients: Exploration Services (Oil Field), CTW, CRC (Global Distribution and Warehousing), The HUB Group (3rd Party Logistics and Trucking), Pyramid Interiors (Building Supply), ARB (Pipeline), etc.
President, Senior Consultant | Centennial, Colorado
Responsible for the development of staff consultants and customer satisfaction. Also responsible for the development of the company.
- Kept many companies from being shut down by the DOT through our customized safety management programs and appropriate coaching of these companies.
- Facilitated companies in saving thousands of dollars each year by controlling losses through operating safely, minimizing accident costs and fines, and the creation and continued development of new best practices, which have been adopted across the transportation industry over the past two decades.
- Reduced accidents, lowered insurance premiums, and enabled a higher return on investment for retainer clients by customizing an enhanced fleet safety policies and procedures manual and coaching their team on creating, developing, and maintaining a safety culture through heightened management systems.
- Built a reputation for success for providing safety consulting, risk management, and loss control services to thousands of companies in various industries, including the insurance industry, which included training and instruction, mock DOT Audits, program development, risk analysis, pre-quote surveys, log book audits, on-site safety management, and representation during official DOT audits.
J.J. Keller & Associates | Neenah, Wisconsin
A company that provides products and services relative to the safety needs of companies.
Senior Consulting Practice Manager – Transportation
Responsible for managing and developing staff consultants and independent contractors, monitoring services provided to ensure quality and consistency, and developing new products and services to enable continued growth for the consulting department.
- Created genuine consistency in providing services throughout the department with the coaching and mentoring of staff consultants, independent contractors, sales staff, etc., improving consulting services across the board, thus increasing the value of services provided.
- Obtained a substantially higher customer satisfaction rate of 95% and 80% retention rate due to developing new successful methods to monitor and track every customer contact, communication, and service provided.
- Increased the department revenue by 300% in three years by improving and enhancing end products, such as forms, reports, and policies, and by coaching sales staff on how to sell safety consulting.
The HUB Group | Chicago, Illinois
A company specializing in third party logistics within the transportation industry.
Corporate Director of Safety
Responsible for developing and implementing, company policies, developing the safety manager staff, and enhancing the safety culture within the company.
- Overall actions resulted in saving over $550,000, achieving a 10-to-1 return on investment in just 18 months.
- Saved thousands of dollars in potential fines and lost work hours due to working closely with the I.T. department to design and engineer an in-house safety management database, to be further used for every aspect of the operation relative to fleet safety and regulatory compliance.
- Established corporate support and the desired safety culture through new methods to direct the program, which included training management staff, conducting mock DOT audits, monthly log audits, monthly safety manager conference calls, etc.
- Obtained recognition from the insurance industry with the development and implementation of a world-class safety program.
Ace Hardware | Chicago, Illinois
A worldwide distributor of hardware and other products.
Corporate Hazardous Materials Manager
Responsible for bringing the company into full compliance regarding hazardous material regulations of the DOT, IATA, and IMDG.
- Averted a shut down by the US Coast Guard and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Achieved total support from top management upon analyzing the situation and providing a formal presentation to every director and VP.
- Raised global safety compliance to never-seen-before levels within 14 months by analyzing previous procedures throughout the organization, determining alternate methods, researching industry standards and regulations, and implementing best practices.
- Ensured continued compliance regardless of turnover by working with the I.T. department to customize new software tools, which were developed and implemented into daily operations, and by selecting superlative vendors to continue supporting certain needs.
Ryder Commercial Leasing | Chicago, Illinois
A nationwide truck-leasing company.
Dual Function: District Safety Manager/Area Safety Services Consultant
As the district safety manager, I was responsible for regulatory compliance with OSHA, DOT, and EPA for each Ryder facility within the district.
- Developed a new safety culture within the district by implementing a safety incentive program, resulting in excitement and enthusiasm, and by collaboration with all levels of employment.
- Obtained a new level of safety awareness and desire to remain safe by shop employees through collaboration at a personal level and via a teamwork approach.
- Reduced vehicle accidents by 52% within 18 months.
- Reduced injuries by 56% within 18 months.
- Saved approximately $90,000 in 18 months
As the area safety services consultant, I was responsible for assisting customers within the area (five districts) in their regulatory compliance with DOT.
- Assisted in the retention of leasing clients by providing consultation and assistance regarding fleet safety and regulatory compliance with DOT for over 600 customers in a regional area.
- Created approximately $100,000 of new revenue, as well as a great reduction in claims for both Ryder and its customers through the development of new programs and services.
- Saved an unknown number of lives with the creation of a new defensive driving course, for which, at least, two drivers had contacted me months after receiving the training to say that they were alive because of the training. Additionally, many companies whose drivers received this training were awarded a 10% reduction in their insurance premiums.
Warren National University | Cheyenne, Wyoming
2003-2007 | Doctor of Philosophy in Safety Engineering
University Central Missouri | Warrensburg, Missouri
1992-1993 | Master of Science in Industrial Safety Management
University Central Missouri | Warrensburg, Missouri
1989-1992 | Bachelor of Science in Safety Management
North American Transportation Management Institute | Denver, Colorado
2000 | Certified Director of Safety, CDS Certificate # 1088